Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Another Reason Shopping at Wal-Mart Might Be Hazardous to Your Health

And, no, it doesn't involve things Made in China! Although, these days, that's a big enough reason. As of today, 54,000 children, the only child to their parents, have been affected by the tainted formula and other dairy products. That's a travesty of the most outrageous proportions.
I truly hope that things will indeed change after this, but we're dealing with a Communist Regime, and truthfully, I'm not convinced that anything will.
Ok, enough of my soap box rantings,now on to my story. This past Sunday I needed to do some shopping for household products, one of which, was salt for our water softener.
Hubby decided to see if they still had it stocked outside in the Lawn and Garden section. That way, he wouldn't have to push a heavy cart all over the store. We saw that they did have some outside and proceeded inside to shop.
After all the shopping, we miraculously remembered to have the checker ring up the bags of salt we hadn't yet picked up. Because at this point, that was the thing I was most concerned about.
Hubby pushed the cart over to the salt, and I went to drive the van over.
When I got out, Hubby was studying the receipt and realized that the checker had rung up the more expensive salt. What the difference is, I have no idea.
After looking at the receipt myself, he tells me to go ahead and start taking the bags around to the other door while he loads the salt into the trunk. I take a couple bags around and start back. When I'm at the back of the van, Hubby asks, "Did you see what you stepped on?"
I look down at my boot and the ground, thinking I had stepped in gum and somehow didn't know it.
Not seeing anything, I look up and ask, "Was it gum?"
Hubby says, "Ummm, no, not exactly."
"What then?"
I follow his line of sight and immediately start shuddering.
There next to the cart, where I was just glancing at the receipt, lay a baby snake, and not just any old garter snake, but a copper head! Yikes!
All I could do was shudder uncontrollably and keep asking if he was dead or not, while intently staring at him. And, yes, he was dead, mouth wide open.
Apparently, I stepped on him and didn't know. Fortunately, I had my boots on and not my usual flip flops or Crocs.
This little darling was only 8 or 9 inches long, but I'm sure his bite would've still packed a punch.
Not to mention, if there's a baby, mama and daddy are probably close by. As in, probably in those piles of salt that Hubby was just in the middle of.
Needless to say, the next time we need salt, I'm thinking that I'll be working on my arm muscles and pushing that heavy cart.

No comments: