Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Doggie Saga Continues

So, I told you on Monday that our dear D dog started feeling bad.
Well, on Tuesday, he still wasn't eating or drinking.
I called the vet, and she said they were booked until around 4 pm. When I asked if he'd be ok until then, because it's 9:30 in the morning, it's the middle of Summer, and he hasn't had anything to drink in 2 days, she says I can bring him in before 12, and they'd take a look at him when they could.
I thought that was the best idea. However, I did, momentarily, think, "What am I going to do if something happens to him while he's there?" "Will they really look after him?"
I quickly got over that and started getting everyone ready. After I showered, D dog goes into the bathroom and takes a long drink of water, his first in 2 days. Well, maybe Hubby is right, and he just had a 48 hour virus that he's now getting over. And with that, I stop all of the "getting ready" process.
Then, around 1:30pm, he starts throwing up again. Guess we're off to the vet after all.
Knowing that I couldn't get him in until after 4 pm, I put the boys down for a quick nap.
I should have known better.
C, absolutely, can not go to sleep right away, no matter what time he goes down. And, today, T refused to go down any faster. They got about 30 minutes of their nap. And if you read Monday's post, you know what that means.
When it's time to go, I open the door and tell D dog, "Let's go!" And even though it's been some time since he's gone anywhere in my mommy mobile, he runs to it and jumps right in.
Hmmm! Doesn't look too sick to me.
At the vet's office, he continues to look just fine as we patiently wait for 45 minutes while he barks at all the other dogs, and tries to break free to go and "play" with them.
It's, finally, our turn, and the vet takes a quick look at his ears and eyes and tells me they look great, and then, tells me his gums aren't tacky, which is a sign of dehydration.
That's good.
But, then, he says something that stuns me. "I hope you didn't wait too long."
What?!!
Is he going to die?
I knew I shouldn't have listened to Hubby on this. Mother's intuition is ALWAYS best.
However, when I don't answer, he re-words it. "I hope you didn't wait too long in the waiting room."
Shoo! I was really sweating that for a minute.
Now that my heart's finally starting to beat normal again, he feels around on his belly and says it feels a little tight. He asks to take an x-ray to see what's going on.
After I agree, he brings it back to show me that D dog is very FOS (full of stool), and says he looks like he's about to have some MAJOR diarrhea. And he, also, looks to have some kind of intestinal obstruction.
He suggests that D stay with him overnight to receive some IV fluids and some anti-biotics.
He asks if that's ok.
OK?! You've just told me that D's about to have MAJOR diarrhea, and we have a 30 minute ride home, and you think I want to take him home with me and risk a serious accident in my mommy mobile or on my patterned Berber carpet?
Of course I'm ok with that!
In fact, don't send him home until he gets rid of that load.
Do you think I'm being selfish?!

2 comments:

cftriplett said...

H.
I laughed so hard reading your blog, T on the chandelier, I can see that.
Love OMA

Scott said...

I'd love to have an Xray machine at home, so we could tell when the diarrhea's coming and schedule vet stays accordingly.
[sigh] that'd be dreamy.